Friday 9 May 2014

A Trader Recounts the Pain of Losing.

A coaching client of mine at a bank has sent me a brilliant email that they penned this morning. They have given me permission to post it on my blog, so long as they and their firm remain anonymous. (Rest-assured all my client's discussions are confidential, unless the client provides permission to reveal details, as in this case.) I feel it will be an interesting read to all traders and active investors alike, who I'm sure will resonate with some of the feelings echoed in this email. 

The email:

I had a bad trading yesterday, not a disaster by any stretch, but a bad day, I was run-over by the EURUSD action post the ECB meeting. That is part of trading, sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose.  – However what I always find hard is how unpleasant and disturbed I feel the next day, even though I have been through it on many hundreds of occasion in my career.  It seems you can never escape it, it never becomes a neutral feeling, but always a bad feeling, an ugly feeling. 

A few months ago, I decided to write down how I felt in my journal. I did this because I realised then, that within a few days the feeling is forgotten, and I usually cannot even describe the feeling a few days or weeks  later, however I do know that it may have had a detrimental effect to my trading which usually has aggravated the original setback.  I thought that way, the next time I have it I can compare how it feels now to how it was then. And I can also ensure that in future I take the best course of action, which in the past I have not always done.

This is a copy of the note I made then, about the same feeling I have now:

‘The first thing I notice is I feel tight around the back of my neck and have an uncomfortable feeling running down my back and down my arms from my shoulders. It is not a pain, but a nervous and unpleasant feeling, it runs almost to my fingers. As a result of this feeling I think I am more hunched when sitting at my desk. I also have a little of that feeling running down the front of my legs. Overall the feeling makes me feel a little heavy and slow. 

The feeling is also unpleasant in my head, but it’s different, my head feels a little hot as well a heavy, and also slightly fuzzy in a way that is hard to describe. There is a kind of pain running around it, but not a headache or migraine. It is focused mostly on my upper front part of my head. I am also slightly clenching and almost grinding my teeth, this makes my jaw feel tight and heavy. 

My mood is angry and slightly dark, on the one hand I am distracted from my normal morning routine, but also I would say I am more focused on the market than normal, my eyes are darting across the screens looking for news, data, watching prices and scanning charts. This is not good for me, because I work best in a structured way and this morning I feel like I have been knocked out of my stride. I can sense an impulse to get involved straight away, to go into the market and try and fight back. It is almost as if I have been insulted and need to both seek revenge and prove myself.‘  

The odd thing is, that the loss I suffered then and yesterday’s loss were not devastating losses, far from it. Also I know that losses are part of trading, I accepted that long ago, and in doing so that became a big part of my trading philosophy, a big part that I think has contributed to my success over the years. Yet, no matter how big, and often how small my losses are, I always feel the same. I am a rational person, and I know I will most probably recover, yet at this instance my emotions are fighting to over-ride my logic. – My experience and my head has taught me over the years not to trade when I am like this, but my immediate desire is telling me to get straight back into the trade. 
Yet if I do this it is likely to be the battle for me, and I will almost certainly lose. – Therefore I am removing myself from the screens. I will not look at the market all day. I know many people who are running portfolios and trade-books can’t do that, I however have that luxury. By Monday I know I will probably have recovered my composure, though the feeling will probably linger in a smaller way for a few days, and I must proceed with extra caution for a while.  

I am sure most traders, fund managers and active investors reading this will resonate with this, and in particular will also recognise the internal battle between the rational and emotional. – If anyone would like to know more about that internal battle, I would strongly recommend buying or downloading a copy of Professor Steve Peter’s brilliant book ‘The Chimp Paradox’.


If you would like to know more about Trader Performance Coaching please email me at steven.goldstein@chrysalis-pc.com or visit our website www.chrysalis-pc.com. Chrysalis Performance Consulting Ltd is the new name of BGT Edge Ltd

You can also follow us on Twitter https://twitter.com/ChrysalisPerfCo

3 comments:

  1. Non-profit hospitals are mandated by the Federal Government to undertake a 'community needs health assessment.' This undertaking looks at the most pressing health needs in the area served by the hospital(s). In my county, several hospitals and the county health agency undertook this charge. The data supply gives a good indication where dollars need to be spent to provide the services most needed. Schmerzmittel Shop

    ReplyDelete
  2. When your website or blog goes live for the first time, it is exciting. That is until you realize no one but you and your. chronic pain management

    ReplyDelete

AlphaMind podcast #107 A US Navy Seal Commander, A Mindfulness Expert, and Self-Compassion

In the brutal world of trading and markets, we can often turn in on ourselves, and end up becoming our biggest problem. The ability to stay ...