Wednesday 16 June 2010

EURO - Where next ?

I'm a bit tired, a bit poorer and slightly 'worse for wear' this morning, following a great day at the races yesterday. --- However, it served as a nice little reminder to me that form does not always count, no matter how strong a favourite a horse may be, even when running under ideal conditions. - I can apply that little metaphor to the market at the moment. Yesterday morning, having seen the spread widening of the previous day in Spain v Germany, and the Greek downgrade, followed by further huge spread widening, I was adamant that the Euro was going to get hit again. However, it found surprising strength, and I guess I should have put a little more faith in my own analysis of a couple of days ago, when I suggested that breaking above the short-term resistance at 1.2150 and closing over the 15-day moving average (1.2170), would provide a boost to the Euro. -- Hence I now find myself at somewhat of a juxtaposition. On one hand the spread widening of Greece, Spain, Portugal and Ireland has restarted with vigour over the past 2/3 days, but Italy has thus far been immune from this latest bout of worries, as have the core countries of France and Belgium. --- On the other hand, the technical break over 1.2150, and the hold of the re-test of this level yesterday favour further gains towards the 40-day moving average, which is currently 1.2544 (though this is dropping sharply and will probably be in the mid 1.2400s in a few days time). Yet, countering this, I view the move higher in the Euro as a correction in an on-going downtrend, which will eventually take the Euro much lower... ---- which Horse shall I bet on ???? Decisions decisions. I think I'll sit this one out for now actually, although my view fwiw is that as long as the core spreads stay calm, then the Euro could make some further gains, though that could change if Spanish spreads go into overdrive ---

Below are charts showing how the Spread of Spain v Germany and Italy v Germany have diverged in recent days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

AlphaMind podcast #107 A US Navy Seal Commander, A Mindfulness Expert, and Self-Compassion

In the brutal world of trading and markets, we can often turn in on ourselves, and end up becoming our biggest problem. The ability to stay ...