Monday 17 October 2011

3 peaks & a Domed House on the SP500 ??

Over the past few months, I have focused on how the AUDUSD, itself a good proxy for the risk-on v  risk-off trade. - I have been following what appeared to be a rare formation known as a '3 Peaks and a Domed House' (3PDH). This rare formation was the concept of George Lindsey, a brilliant but little known (until very recently) technical analyst who dies in August 1987.

I first touched on the possibility of this 3PDH pattern developing in May of this year on the AUDUSD, the posting can be seen here http://hometraderuk.blogspot.com/2011/05/aud-highly-speculative-view.html

I have maintained regular updates of this, including a posting over the weekend, which suggested a strong risk  that the AUDUSD may be at of close to a final rebound a long and sharp drop.  (Initial stop over 105).

At the end of the last posting, I highlighted a similar pattern on the SP500. - I have decided to update that, with the analysis boosted by having read a superb new book on George Lindsey and his work, written by Ed Carlson. The book is 'George Lindsay and the Art of Technical Analysis', was named 'Stock Traders Almanac' - 'Best Investment Book of the Year'.

The charts below are quite wordy so I will sum the main points, in line with some of the main supporting factors from Ed Carlson's book:

1) The pattern seems to conform (almost to a perfect pattern), it is rare (almost impossible) to get a perfect representation, but this is a pretty good version, with the main exception possibly explained away by one of Lindsey's principles.

2) The pattern suggests we may be close to a serious steep decline taking us rapidly to around 963 (minimum 1010, quite possibly deeper).  

3) The biggest discrepancy between this pattern and the ideal pattern is the wide-ranging consolidation over the past 2 months. This represents the 'roof of the first-floor' on the pattern and typically occurs during the ascending side of the 'Domed House' pattern, not the descending side. On the other hand the ascending side had a shorter correction in Oct 2010 which should have occurred where this one occurred. ( I hope you follow, because I'm struggling and I'm writing it). - Lindsey explains this with his principle of equalization. - [Though I have to give consideration to the possibility that this is a serious departure, and if it does not resolve favourably soon, it may null and void the pattern.]

4) The AUDUSD, which has a very high visible correlation with US equities over the past few years, does not have this discrepency, it has everything in the right order. (With the exception of an irregular top on the 'Domed-House'.

5) My usual Caveat. - Which I am happy to state since I am physically short of the position in AUDUSD, not merely analyzing this, is that as with all chart patterns and price action, it is a probability call and not written into the future.


The first chart shows the SP500 and the idealised pattern. - With desciptions of the various stages.



Below, I have tried to use the 2 day chart to try and explain the anamoly of the 'First-Floor Wall'.


And for good order sake, here is the AUDUSD chart I mentioned, as per Friday's close.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Gooner. The AUDUSD as a proxy for the SPX is a very valuable contribution, and the 3PDH pattern looks quite plausible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But if you take a look at the COT Report you will see the Comercials have big long Position in the AUD/USD. I would net fight against this group.

    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.

    I'm not fighting commercials, rather I'm taking a strategic probability view, based off of what may or may not be a good signal.

    I personally always think the market has approx a 50/50 likelihood of direction, but then view this against the potential pay-off that one of those directional moves may offer me. - Say the next big move in AUD is a 50/50 call. - (I don't know which will happen anymore than the next person). - But what I am saying is that I think is that if it is down, then there is a good chance that the down-move carries on for some 2300 ticks (minimum).

    I'm not speculating on an upmove at this stage but a down-move. - So with my stop at about 10500 (ish)- very approx ( I am currently seeing the market trading in the high 102s/low 103s currently). Therefore if the market starts to move down, and continues (in-line with the pattern) there is (at this time IMHO a potential pay-off of roughly 11 to 1.

    If someone offers me an 11 to 1 pay-off on a 50/50 call I always take it. - That is how I see it. - If I'm wrong, I'll be stopped out for 200 odd ticks, if I'm right, I'll possibly Make 2300 ticks, and if I'm partly right, (I'll trail it, with a long lag, I'll make something).

    If I'm stopped. - I'll move on to the next trade. - But keeping this formation in the back of my mind, incase it re-asserts itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,

    do you see this pattern in nzdusd? audusd now at 1.0700, wld that invalidate the pattern? nzdusd coming up to 0.8316 resistance...of cos we need dollar to turn 74 thereabts

    thks and rgds

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi again,

    woah i just looked up a 5yr chart of copper...its now very close to your "27" pt with resistance coming in at previous break of 3868, so cld aussie and kiwi just be an overshoot?

    guess we just have to wait and see :)

    ReplyDelete

AlphaMind podcast #107 A US Navy Seal Commander, A Mindfulness Expert, and Self-Compassion

In the brutal world of trading and markets, we can often turn in on ourselves, and end up becoming our biggest problem. The ability to stay ...